Friday, February 1, 2008

Day 5: Moving forward



Status - Mission 1
Mood - elated
Water - almost 1 liter so far

Day 5 of 84

Bonjour, lol

Well, I have just gotten back from the Bear's lair, the local gym down the street from my dorm. In the past I've used it primarily for the treadmill machines and nothing more. Today I decided to mix it up a bit.

I slept very lightly last night because I was so excited to get into the gym this morning, so I actually woke up earlier than usual today. I was surprised to see two of my other roommates awake as well, they were apparently heading to the gym too. I guess my attitude toward getting back into shape has infected the entire sweet, lol. I'm glad for that

But getting back to my story. So I ran to the gym and stretched and immediately hopped on the treadmill. The cardio for the day was HIIT, high intensity interval training. I began a light jog at around speed 6 and quickly jumped it up to 8 and then 9. By that mark I was practically sprinting so I decided to make that my highest speed. I cycled through those three speeds for one minute each. I repeated the cycle of three 4 times.

I then made my way over to the elliptical. It looks like a fusion between a treadmill and a stair-stepper. Question: what is the verb that is used to describe what one does on this machine? Would it be "elliptizining" ... "ellipting" ? On a treadmill you run, on a bike you cycle. Very simple, But on an elliptical? I'm sure I am being totally ignorant and there is an obvious term. Can't seem to think of it now ...

So 12 minutes on the elliptical and ab core training to follow.

Overall I felt great ... very accomplished. Next time I intend to increase the time I spend on each cardio machine to better my cardio capacity. This concept, namely, the idea of repeatedly challenging yourself, is called progressive overload. The method is used to keep your body in an unsuspecting state. This is necessary because over time, your body quickly adapts to the stimuli its being presented with resulting in slowed progress. The body is a smart machine. It is able to survive by doing as little work as possible . Therefore, if you're not moving forward you're body is surely keeping you stagnant.


I have to get to class, see you tomorrow !

--Jay

1 comment:

poppy said...

DEAR JAY CONINUE ON YOU WONDERFUL PATH, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US.............LOVE, POPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!