Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 4: Bring it on



Status - mission 1
Mood - energetic
water - on my 4th liter

Day 4 of 84


I had the intention of going for a run this morning, but unfortunately overslept and had to rush to make it to class. I did get a sound breakfast under my belt though, and a liter of water in my system by 10am. The new protein powder I recently purchased tasted great, especially with low-fat milk. The lady at GNC who sold it to me was really sweet too, even though she tried to swindle me into buying another product that I was not only unfamiliar with, but which was also far too expensive. I'm being tangential, sorry.

So ~ 10:30 I had a chicken salad. A friend who sat next to me in class seemed to enjoy watching me eat as much as I enjoyed the salad myself ! I couldn't help but notice her constant glances toward in my direction. Thinking back on it now, the sound of my jaw crunching might have been distracting. Whoops

My workout consisted of simple chest and back exercises at very high reps. I forced out ~30 reps on each of my first sets. The number of repetitions I was able to do naturally declined from there. This type of training is not very difficult alone. However, with only 30 second rest intervals between sets it can become very exhausting. Today I was able to tolerate the required volume fairly easily. I'll make sure to increase the resistance for the next session, which is in a week or so.

Cardio was enjoyable. Completing 5 minutes of interval cycling and 4 sprints + 4 jogs around our school's track made me smile, temporarily masking the pain I felt in my lungs and quads. I set the goal at the beginning of this program of being able to run 5 miles in one cardio session. I intend to meet that mark, in which case I have many more laps to run and much more pain to endure. Based on past experience, I am fully confident in my body's abilities.

After my workout I ran back to the apartment to continue my reading of Adam Water's blog. In case you haven't heard of this guy, well, let's just say he is nothing short of inspirational. Consider a person who, for six years of his life, had been depressed and disappointed with life and what it had to offer. Fast forward a mere 3 months and he has completely transformed his body, and from the look on his face his self-confidence shot through the roof. At the end of his 84 day mission he had learned the power inherent in goal setting. He took massive, if not drastic action and listened to his heart. His mind and body couldn't help but follow. Check out his blog. Trust me, it is truly eye-opening.

He's the real reason why I decided to begin this project in daily accountability. After reading his story and witnessing his physical transformation through daily pictures, I believe - no, I know I will be able to do the same. Given my outstanding work ethic, slightly obsessive nature and personal stubbornness, I know I'll have a six-pack at the end of 84 days.

Bring it on baby !

Catch you tomorrow

--Jay

ps. the link to Adam Water's blog ... www.rtp-blog.com

No comments: