Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 19: Cardio milestone !!



Status - mission 1
Mood - amazing
Water - almost 2 liters

Day 19 of 84

Going into the gym this morning I decided to finally go for 20 minutes on the tread, and guess what - I DID IT !!

And what's more is that I completed the final 2 minutes going at speed 8, which is my highest.

The feeling I had afterward was a mix between nausea and excitement. After the 15 minute mark my mind started to fade out. But instead of focusing on the stinging pain shooting through both of my legs, I thought back on a previous time in high school when I struggled to finish a 5 mile warm-up run before wrestling practice. Comparing that insane discomfort with what I felt today, and realizing how much more difficult the wrestling had been, provided the driving force that pushed me past the 20 minute hurdle - a barrier that was more mental than physical now that I think about it.

So far in my journey I have learned a few important things. One is that oftentimes it is not enough to dream, that success comes instead by taking courageous action. And moreover, that if there is no action then the decision to succeed hasn't truly been made. What you want makes no difference unless you decide to harness it. As Sun Tzu said - "opportunities multiply as they are seized"

This afternoon is devoted to biceps and triceps.

Nutrition has been on target. Last day of low cards. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can refuel my system.

Until tomorrow (afternoon HIIT because I have an EMT shift until 1pm, grr)

--Jay

1 comment:

poppy said...

DEAR JAY CONGRATS ON YOUR PROGRSS ON TREADMILL AND WITH EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU HAVE WORKED HARD AND IT IS SHOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK POPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!