Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 1: Long way to go








Day 1 of 84

Status - Mission 1

I must admit that Day 1 is actually Day 4, since I technically started working out and have finished up to 4 workouts prior. But for simplicities sake, let's just say that my "first" day in the gym was pretty successful. My pre-workout meal consisted of only a protein shake, which was less than I would have liked. I usually drop by the dining hall near my dorm to pick up something more substantial. But I must say, I still had plenty of energy during my entire workout, which is broken down below.


Weights
  • Back (16)
  • Biceps (4)
Cardio
  • Fat Loss Circuit Training (FLC)
I was unable to sustain the FLC with the added set scheme I have chosen to follow, so instead I replaced it with 15 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the elliptical immediately following my workout. I successfully completed 5 minutes of strict intervals and finished up the remaining 10 minutes at a moderate pace.

The lifting session was killer. At the end of 16 Back sets I could feel my lats exploding. I haven't done close grip pulldowns in quite some time, but the pump at the end felt amazing! I can't wait until the next back day, lol. I was slightly disappointed with my performance on seated rows, with a weight of only 175 :-( I remember at my peak last year I was maxing out at ~250. It's amazing how much strength one can lose over time.

It was a standard day for Biceps except that we couldn't find the proper curling bar that was used for preacher curls, so instead we simply did standing bar curls with a much shorter bar for two sets, and followed it up (after a couple minutes rest) with concentration curls. I've decided that my workout buddy is going to get huge if he maintains his current high level of commitment. It's nice having a workout partner. He keeps me motivated and accountable. Can't laze out on a workout when someone is breathing down your neck!

And now the part that I have been dreading ...

First weeks pictures - the truth hurts. There is nothing that is more embarrassing than seeing your out of shape body in a picture. And it's even worst seeing myself for the first time on a computer screen, let alone on a blog that exposes me.

But in my own interest I have decided to place myself before a countless number of eyes. The shame of it has already had its effect. I can't be stopped.

4 comments:

garyg said...

Hey Jay, good luck with your committment. I too am committed to staying in very good shape,and eating and living healthy. Looking forward to your progress. Gary,A friend of poppy.

garyg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
poppy said...

DEAR JAY CONTINUE ON THE PATH YOU ARE ON.............................WITH LOVE AND RESPECT.....................YOUR POPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poppy said...

CYCLEMAN SAID....................KEEP UP GOOD WORK..........................POPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!